What are the advantages of read-write tags vs read-only tags?
Spacecode offers both types of tags, but in many applications we may deliberately choose readable tags due to:
- A single unique ID number means no possibility of confusion or error.
- Easy integration with software systems as evidenced by numerous successful integrations and partners.
- A complete audit trail is not possible with data on a tag, as either the data is on the tag but not on the database, or the data is also on the database ‒ so no need for data on the tag.
- No data on the actual tag makes it more secure if lost, stolen, hacked, or is sent to an external company.
- A database is in any case needed for both writable as well as readable tags – so having data on the tag does not eliminate the need for a database which still needs to be accessed.
- Performance, quality and cost are superior in readable tags.
- The association of Spacecode’s unique RFID to the product is quick and easy, done at the time the item is registered in the customer’s database.
- The user never sees the RFID UID (unique identification) as it is running in the background of the software.
- All our larger clients, including a Fortune Top 20 healthcare company, as well as many of our software partners have opted for read-only tags.
- In the diamond and jewelry sector, grading laboratories require a unique ID on the tag to ensure that they do not compromise or bias their independent grading judgement in anyway.